The Creatures

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Creatures

Post by Elrondra on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:03 am

Max almost laughed and asked him if he was on drugs; that is until he got to the bit about his ability to heal others. Then the amused feeling died. In fact, she was so struck by what he said that for the first time since their encounter she lowered her weapon. Her outstretched arm gradually drifted down as her face scrunched in confusion.

Everything this Brandt character had said so far sounded absolutely insane and any other rational human being would have probably called 911 by now. But this…well whatever he was, said that his counterpart might have an ability relating to his healing powers. Which sounded like the craziest answer to the question that burned in her mind since getting discharged; but it was the only answer she had ever received.

How was it, when her squad’s hummer drove over that land mine and got caught in a firefight, that she miraculously survived? She received serious burns and sustained several shrapnel wounds from the explosion, then she was shot twice during the engagement. The doctors told her no one should have been able to survive and besides her no one did. Unless, it was as Brandt had said, and she didn’t survive by any natural powers at all.

"You say that you cannot die and can heal others. Now I’m going to try and ignore the fact that this entire encounter has been ludicrous and not at all reasonable, and I am going to do my best not to shoot you. But let’s say I give in to my better judgment and do shoot you: would you just spit the bullet out and be right as rain? How am I supposed to believe anything you say? You’re a giant talking bird who just randomly walks up to a drunk girl and claims you have matching superpowers.  Can you maybe see the insanity here?"

~*~

Asa was still stirring from his dream and thinking about Pieris and her vengeful memory when someone inches from his face spoke. A chill ran down his spine and his brain went to defcon five.

"Asa, you look troubled. Anything I can help with?"

Asa let out a startled cry and fell right off the end of his bench. All that head could seem to come up with was, Pieris is here and I am going to die again. But as he looked at his unwelcome visitor from his position on the ground he realized with only mild relief who it was.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" He shouted at her. "I thought you were…don’t ever, ever do that again! It’s creepy and hella rude."

Asa trained a glare on her as he hauled himself back to his feet and brushed off the dirt and grass from his hoodie.

"Why have you shown up now, bat-face? What do you want?"
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:38 pm

Brandt watched as this girl lowered her weapon, her face becoming a mask of confusion as she processed what he had said. Obviously something that he had said convinced her, but he couldn't be sure exactly what it was or what kind of connection she was making with his information and her past experiences. From what he had been observing, he guessed that she had not lead an easy life.

When she gave him the scenario of him getting shot, he shook his head slightly, but stayed leaning against the building. "I would technically be dead for a short time, but it wouldn't last that long. I'm guessing only a few minutes, at the most, since your gun won't do any horrible damage. Obviously, it would be enough to kill me, but it would be a relatively clean wound that wouldn't take long to heal." He paused and the scars on his beak and face. "Now, if something worse were to happen, say my face being torn up, then it would take longer to heal and I would therefore be dead for a longer period of time."

He let out a slight sigh. "And of course, there are always consequences to every death. My kind don't get off free, but that is another explanation that I don't think you're looking for at this exact moment. Maybe another time."

He then stood up straight and stepped a little closer to her, though he was still a fair distance away. "Look, I know this is all strange, but obviously I said something to make you believe. Or start to believe. I think it would be best if you went home... Maybe sobered up a little... I can wait until morning to explain things to you more. Maybe you'll be more willing to believe me when you can't use the fact that you're drunk as an excuse."

^*^

The girl, who Asa knew as Ghost, smiled widely, revealing her sharp teeth, and dropped down from the light, flipping over and landing crouched down before standing up straight again. She continued to smile as he yelled at her and picked himself up off the ground.

Once he was done, she crossed her arms. "Are you done with your tantrum, Asa?" She shook her head at him, faking a look of disappointment. "And Bat-Face? Really? Is that how you address old friends that you haven't seen in years?"

She sat down on the bench and put her hands behind her head, leaning back. "Well, take a seat, Elf-Ears. I've actually got some important things to tell you." Her usually mischievous and playful tone suddenly became more serious. "It's about Pieris..."

Ghost waited for Asa to sit down next to her before she continued. "I actually wasn't planning on finding you, you know how I like to stay out of things, but something about this was different. I don't like it. I'm sure you remember what happened with Cane and how Pieris threatened revenge and all that..." She paused for a moment, thinking back to that time. She had been there, but she hadn't gotten involved. She never did get involved with things, preferring to simply observe and only interfere if it would benefit her in some way. It was definitely more beneficial to stay out of what had happened that day.

"Well, while she was saying all that, Cane wasn't dead yet, so she hadn't... Um, lost her mind yet? She did, of course, after Cane died, but you were gone by then. Lucky for you. I stuck around, wanting to see how it turned out. She was insane... At first, she just sort of destroyed things around her, but she was far enough away from people that she didn't kill many living things. Then she started to travel around aimlessly, just causing destruction. I didn't really need to stick around after that, I know how all that goes. Incurable insanity as a result of losing one's counterpart. The reason I don't try to find my own.

"Anyway, I left. Traveled around for a bit. Then, recently, I decided to check up on Pieris. I didn't think there would be any sort of change, but why not, you know? It was easy to find her, I just followed the path of destruction that she had been leaving behind. But, when I found her, she was different. She was still as violent and insane as ever, but it wasn't random like most are... She actually seemed to have some kind of purpose, which definitely wasn't how I had left her. When I found her, she was attacking another one of us, who also had a human with them. She wasn't killing the human at the time, instead, she was attacking the demon and... Questioning him. Asking where others were with their counterparts and things like that. Then she asked for you, specifically.

"The demon didn't seem to know who you were, or if he did, he didn't say. So, once she was done with him, she killed his counterpart and left him to go insane. I didn't follow her again after that. This is where it gets interesting, though. Pieris left the creature to his insanity, but not long after, someone else showed up. It was another creature and their counterpart... They... Took the insane one... He didn't even try to attack them like most normally would."

She paused and took a deep breath. "Look, I don't know if you've been hearing the rumors, but others have been saying that there are two who are gathering those that have lost their counterparts. I don't know why and I usually don't bother with rumors, but... This situation was too weird to ignore."

She glanced at Asa. "Anyway. I came to warn you that Pieris is looking for you and she's determined to find you. I don't know how, but you have time. She was a few states over when I saw her and I travel a lot faster than she can." As she said this, she moved her wings slightly. "Sorry I didn't have better news for you."
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:57 am

A part of Max desperately wanted to leave and get as far away from this monster as she could and forget their exchange. She had seen the kind of monsters humanity produces and didn’t care for it much. But a larger part of her—the part which always caused her endless trouble—wanted to believe that Brandt had some answers to questions she had been carrying around for a while now. It wasn’t clear to her which part of her was worth listening to and Max decided that he had a point: she was too drunk to decide.

"It’s hard to argue that something which is right in front of you doesn’t exist, but like you said I’m too drunk to be sure how much of this is I should believe. I don’t want you to follow me home or ever come near me again unless I say so, got it? If you try to follow me I will be testing out whether or not what you say about your immortality is true."

Max moved to slowly creep around him towards the alley's exit. Now that she was moving again her wobbly legs reminded her about the impaired motor skills. She had made quite a few bad decisions that night and Max was beginning to regret them.

"If by any small chance I want to ask you some questions, how do I find you?"

~*~

Asa cast Ghost another indignant glare before sitting down on the bench next to her. With legs stretched out in front of him and hands shoved deep into his hoodie pocket, he listened to her news with little surprise. Asa had been on the run and in deep hiding since his last death, and he had also done his best to prevent Brandt from learning about any of this. But he hadn't just shoved his head in the ground and ignored the problem either. He knew Pieris was hunting for him and leaving a trail of bodies behind her, and Asa expected nothing less.

Asa also knew without a doubt that eventually she would find him and he would not have a happy ending. So the only thing he did his best to ignore was the fact that his own cowardice to face her continued to cost lives.

"Pieris was always focused before, it doesn't surprise me that even in her insanity she is driven to an end goal. She never was like other demons." Even though he spoke of his enemy his voice carried a tone of respect. He never wanted to be enemies with Pieris and it was no secret that he still carried a sense of loyalty to her.

"I haven't heard of these other two though." A furrow of thought creased his brow. He never did follow up on any of the demons whom she left to insanity--he didn't want to know what happened to them. But if what Ghost told him was true, it most definitely wasn't what he was expecting.

"The fact that the insane demons aren't hostile to them is strange, like they have some kind of control over them. But what worries me most is why they're being gathered… our kind never is up to anything good which makes me fear for the worst."

With a frustrated groan Asa rubbed his face with both hands and wished that this news had come to him before he met Sage. If they hadn't met than Asa would have just convinced Brandt to move on and search some city a few states over. But he couldn't do that now.

"Ghost I met my counterpart today," he confessed quietly. He knew she was trustworthy and would understand what this meant, she had seen everything that happened between him and Pieris. "She’s just a kid, still in highschool and everything. I can’t drag her into this, Pieris is too close."
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:53 am

Brandt almost protested when he heard her say that she was leaving and he couldn't follow. So she was going to refuse to believe this, or at least, it sounded like she was. He didn't want to scare her any more than she was already, though she did a great job of not showing it. Maybe she wasn't even scared at all.

He simply nodded in response to her and let her go around him. He made sure not to move as she did this, not wanting to give her an excuse to not trust him or worse, to shoot him. He just kept his arms crossed and his shoulder leaned against the wall, even trying his best to keep his tail from moving too much. The only thing he did was turn his head to watch her go.

Once she was around him, he expected her to leave, but she stopped and, to his surprise, asked how she could contact him if she wanted to. He stared at her for a moment, not truly believing that she had asked that, but also relieved that she had. "You know where the junkyard is? Just on the edge of town," He pointed in the direction he had come from. "There's a gap in the fencing that you can fit through. Or if you aren't comfortable with that, you can just leave a note telling me where to meet you. And of course, you can bring a gun with you."

^*^

Ghost shook her head slightly after he described Pieris a bit. "No, you don't understand. Once our kind go crazy, that's it. They just become all about random violence. They don't form coherent thoughts, much less have actual goals to accomplish. They might still have memories, but not actual thoughts about anything other than killing. The fact that she's actively seeking you is... Wrong..."

She listened to what else he had to say and blinked in surprise as he said that he had found his counterpart. She was quiet for a moment before saying, "Wow, I don't really know if I should congratulate you or pity you. I definitely don't envy your situation. You can take comfort in the fact that Pieris won't be here for a while. I give her... 5 more days, at the least. Even if she is insane, she still needs to rest. I don't know what's driving her, but she'll pass out from exhaustion a few times before she reaches here. Or maybe she'll be so tired once she gets here that even a creature like you could beat her in a fight."

She stood up and stretched, spreading her wings and running her claws through her wild brown hair. "Look, as much as I hate to admit it, we are friends. At least, as close to friends as I ever get with people. So, if you want, I'll help. I can keep an eye on Pieris for you and warn you when you should leave or I can watch your human for you. I won't get much more involved than that, though. You know me, I just like to watch."

She folded her wings against her back again, waiting for his response before she made her next move. Normally, she didn't even get this involved with situations, but she did feel sorry for Asa and they were somewhat close, as far as she went, at least. She didn't usually get close to anyone, but there were always exceptions to every rule.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:28 pm

“Junkyard, of course, I should have guessed that.” Max backed out of the alley and onto the empty sidewalk. “Don’t expect me to come calling, Brandt,” she called out finally and turned to leave.

She tucked her handgun back into her jacket pocket and did her best to walk quickly. Every few strides she would check back over her shoulder to make sure he wasn’t following her, and for good measure she took a roundabout way home. Max knew if he was determined to follow her he could, but she felt too tired and drunk to do a thorough job at throwing him off her trail.

The door to her apartment stubbornly groaned when she opened it and the cat hissed at her when she walked in. The first thing Max did was make sure all points of entry were locked, curtains drawn, and lights off. The bizarre meeting kept playing again and again in her head. Max did her best to process it and to make sense of what felt like something that belonged in a cheap sci-fi movie: drunk girl meets strange demonic creature who tells her of magical powers and a life of immortality.

With a long groan Max crawled into bed and set her handgun on the nightstand. Maybe she would wake up in the morning with a bad hangover and an even worse story to tell, and that would be the end of it.

But something in Max’s gut told her it wasn’t over yet.

~*~

Asa’s brows rose in surprise as he looked over at Ghost, who sat casually beside him. The offer was unusual for her and he appreciated that she would be willing to help like that. “Thanks for offering to get involved. I could use the help.”

But a thought occurred to Asa and his brows knit together into a deepening frown. It seemed that his only options were temporary solutions to the problem, and it didn’t sit right with him to drag Sage into a life on the run. It wasn’t a life he wanted himself, so why should he push it upon someone else? He wasn’t that selfish…

Should he just leave Sage behind for good then? Would Pieris be able to sniff her out if he wasn’t around? The creature seemed to be only concerned with Asa, she might just stay on his trail and pass up Sage altogether. However, the last words he heard her say aggravated his thoughts: she swore to kill his own counterpart. Would she hold to that promise amidst her insanity? Ghost thought that if it came to it Asa might be able to beat Pieris in a fight, but even that was only a temporary solution: she would just come right back.

“Ghost, in your travels have you ever heard of a way to kill one of our kind for good?”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:28 am

Brandt watched her with steady eyes as she slowly left. His mind was screaming at him to go after her. To protect her and even comfort her as she was clearly distressed. Of course, he was the one causing that distress and going after her would only make the situation worse. For now, he just had to trust that she wouldn't do anything stupid. At least it had seemed that him calling her drunk a few times made her realize that she shouldn't be wondering through the streets at night. Or maybe it was the fact that she saw him and thought that she was drunk enough to be hallucinating.

Once she was out of sight, he stayed leaning against the wall, listening and making sure that she was a good distance away before he left. He didn't want to risk making her think that he was following her because he had no plan to actually follow her. He had a suspicion about where she lived, but he would let her come to him. That was how this worked. They had a bond that neither could get away from, no matter how much one of them may deny it. At least, he hoped that was how it would work.

With a deep sigh, he stood up straight and began walking back toward the junkyard. His temporary home. It didn't take him long to get back, especially when he went straight there instead of aimlessly wondering like he had been when he first left the junkyard.

His mind was racing as he thought about the very recent events of the day. Asa had found his counterpart. He himself had found his not much longer after. He laughed at himself as he thought about the fact that he would have to explain everything for a second time so soon after the first. It was a strange thought, but the entire day had been a rather strange one, so he allowed himself at least one random thought.

Once he reached the junkyard, he climbed through the hole in the fence and went back to where their supplies were. He was surprised to see that Asa was gone, but decided that he must have taken his counterpart, Sage, back to her own home. She was pretty young, after all, and probably had parents that were waiting for her.

After throwing another piece of wood, well old lumber, onto the fire, he laid down in the dirt with yet another sigh. He stared up at the stars again, watching the sparks drift up and die out as they rose. He tapped his claws on his stomach as he waited to see if Asa would return that night, unsure if he wanted to tell Asa what had happened.

^*^

Ghost noticed the pause as Asa thought about something else, but she waited patiently instead of interrupting him or changing the subject. The question that he asked her was unexpected, though. She let out a long breath as she thought back to the different creatures she had talked to. She had heard many different rumors and stories, but couldn't think of any where another creature had actually stayed dead.

"No, I've heard a lot of stories where others have tried, but they all failed. Some methods last longer than others, but they always came back. One tried to behead another and keep the two separate so there was no chance they could be put back together. I think the head ended up growing back or something like that. Took a while, but not long enough to solve your problem. Uhhhh... Another tried to burn the body, thinking that there wouldn't be anything left to heal. Even scattered the ashes, but they still came back. Took quite a few years. Still not permanent. I'm thinking that's how everything goes. Just a temporary solution. We can't be killed. Not permanently, at least."

She paused for a moment then threw her arm over Asa's shoulders, which was impressive considering how much shorter she was than him, and pulled him close, speaking in a hushed tone. "You know, I have been hearing some other rumors. There's supposed to be another pair. I know you'll know who I'm talking about. Remember when we used to hear about the creators? The first ones? The pair that started all of this. Their supposed to be more powerful than any others because of how much longer they've been around. Really mastered their powers, you know? There's a defect to all of our powers, an aspect of it that we can't control, a feeling that we can do more. Well, they don't have this problem and they're more powerful because of it.

"You know what their powers are? Well one, the human I think, is supposed to be able to completely cure creatures that have lost their counterparts. Bring back their sanity, you know? They'll be sad, sure, but they won't be creatures driven by mindless destruction. The creature, well, they're supposed to be able to resurrect anything. Think about it. Just go to them to fix any problems, right? The saviors and all that."

When she was done speaking, she released him, pushing him away slightly. "Well, rumors are nothing to live by, are they? Simply entertainment. I definitely wouldn't bet my life or my sanity on them." She walked away from him, unfolding her wings and getting ready to take flight. "I'll watch over your human while you're away. I'm good at staying hidden and we wouldn't want you to get arrested for stalking. If I see anything suspicious, I'll let you know."

She turned her head back slightly so she was looking at him out of the corner of her eye. "Also, if I happen to find my counterpart here, which I have been actively trying to avoid, I may have to let Pieris find you. Understand?"

Without letting him answer, she crouched down and leaped as her powerful wings lifted her easily into the air. As soon as she had left the ground, she disappeared completely. The only sign that she had been there was the slight gust of wind from her wings, which quickly disappeared as she did.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:32 pm

Asa watched as Ghost leapt into the air and passed into the night, causing leaves to scatter past his feet as if fleeing from her warning. After she was gone a chill ran down his spine at the thought of Pieris closing in. Suddenly he felt too exposed and had the overwhelming urge to start running and never stop, to put as much distance between himself and his pursuer as possible.

The dream he had woken from only a few minutes ago must have been another one of his strange omens. A reminder of two promises on that day. The oath made by Pieris and a vision’s promise that his next death would be her revenge.

Asa wasn’t brave; far from it. He had spent this entire life fleeing from every sign of danger that came his way, continuously looking over his shoulder wherever he ran. He kept his head down and that had always been his way. He was a coward. Although he knew it, he never seemed to be able to change.

But now he was tied to someone else and he knew the responsibility for her safety was his now: he had to keep her alive. Not only because she was his counterpart, a selfish voice told him, but because he didn't want to end up like Pieris. Even if he did deserve it. So now he had to do what terrified him most: face Pieris.

The last part of what Ghost had told him came to mind, from when she threw her arm around him and pulled him close as if to prevent the world from hearing. What if he could find their creators and cure Pieris's insanity…could he reason with her then? Could he fix everything that he had broken? He would need to slow her down until then and lead her away from Sage.

Suddenly Asa stood from his bench and began to walk--filled with a sense of desperation. He wanted to speak with Brandt first, he respected the creature even if he would never admit to it. Ghost had promised to keep an eye on Sage but only until it didn’t suit her anymore. Brandt was a good guy, Asa knew he would keep an eye on her.

The storm of thoughts clouded his mind until he had crawled beneath the fence to the junkyard and saw the light of their campfire ahead. He stopped as his gut knotted uncomfortably at the thought of going through with this flimsy plan. He took a deep breath before he faltered and walked into the warm glow of the campfire. Asa wasted no time in getting to his point, spilling the words out before he lost the nerve.

“Brandt, I’m leaving and I need you to watch Sage for me.”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:47 am

Brandt had had his eyes half closed when Asa came barging in. He wasn't paying attention at first, lost in his own thoughts, so it took a moment for what Asa had said to actually process. In response to his words, Brandt opened his eyes all the way and turned his head toward Asa, giving him a questioning look. "What?" He had simply said before he slowly stood up.

He was being uncharacteristically distracted at the moment, but he was slowly regaining his composure. "You're leaving? And putting all of your responsibilities with me? What could possibly be so important that you are willing to abandon the one thing that is literally keeping you sane? It's clear that you haven't even thought out whatever plan you're trying to go along with. What about me? Have you considered that I might not exist just to carry your burdens for you when you decide to run off doing whatever it is you're trying to do?"

Brandt took a deep breath when he was done speaking and he quickly turned his back to Asa. He put one of his clawed hands over his eyes and tried to calm himself. He knew that he was overreacting and simply taking out his frustration on Asa, but this new situation wasn't going to help his already bad one.

He turned back around after a few seconds and continued speaking in a calm tone, hoping that Asa wouldn't question his sudden outburst. "Could you please just explain to me what it is you are trying to accomplish by leaving?"
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Asa stood feeling much like a chastised child in front of Brandt. Somehow he managed to stand his ground, although he knew that Brandt was right: what he was asking was unfair but for Asa completely necessary. At first he wasn’t sure how to respond to his friend’s outburst and stood awkwardly searching for words until the creature turned back around and calmly asked why. But the only response that could be forced from his lips was:

“I can’t explain.”

The thought of Brandt knowing what he had done was too distasteful. Asa grasped for a way to convince his friend to help. In the light of the fire he hoped that his blue eyes didn’t show the yellow fear and desperation that clawed at his gut.

“Just know that I have to leave now or else Sage could be in very real danger, as well as you.” Asa took a step forward pleadingly. “I know it isn’t fair and this is my fault, but I’m going to try and fix it. Please, I just need to know that you will make sure Sage stays safe. I have another friend who said they would try and help but only until a certain point.

“I-I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Asa added. “But I need know that if something goes wrong, you can get her out of here until I can get back.”

The words hung in the air for an unbearable moment as he began to wonder what he would do if Brandt just refused. Sage’s safety would be entirely in the hands of Ghost. She was an old and trustworthy friend but he knew he couldn’t rely on her entirely. She was unpredictable as well.

“Brandt, I need your help,” Asa implored.
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:45 pm

Brandt sighed, crossing his arms and looking at the ground, his tail hitting the ground impatiently. "That's not good enough, Asa. I can't be responsible for something that's that important to your life. What if something did happen and I couldn't get there in time? I'd have to live the rest of my life knowing that I was the one who ruined yours."

He shook his his, trying to think of something to say that could convince Asa to stay. He wasn't a fan of the idea of telling Asa about his newly discovered counterpart. He didn't want to admit that she had basically rejected him, something that was almost unheard of. Sure, they were usually shocked and surprised to find out about some magical creature being a huge part of their lives, but they were rarely rejected. For once, Brandt had no idea what to do about the situation he was in and he didn't trust himself to help Asa. Especially when what Asa was asking him to do was so important.

"You won't even tell me what it is you are trying to do. You trust me enough to watch her, but not enough to tell me what's happening? Even when what might happen may put me in danger as well? If your counterpart is going to be put into danger, isn't leaving her alone the worst thing you could possibly do? If you want to leave, why don't you take her and leave?"

He stopped his ranting and shook his head once again. "Look, I have... I have a lot to deal with tomorrow. I don't trust myself to look after Sage for you. Especially when she'll be in school. I can't go there and look after her. I guess if you're still determined to leave, you'll just have to trust that your other friend will do a well enough job at looking after Sage for you because I can't garuntee anything from me."
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:11 pm

With a low growl Asa turned away and ran his hands through his hair, whether from frustration or panic it was hard to tell. He sat down on a rusted oil barrel that groaned hazardously and let his arms hang limp across his knees. He was a sad sight sitting there with his hair sticking in odd directions and a furrow in his brow.

This conversation certainly wasn’t going as he had hoped and Asa wasn’t sure if there was anything he could say to convince Brandt. The creature was stubborn in his ways. For a moment Asa contemplated whether or not Sage would be fine just being left alone: perhaps that would draw less attention? A sick feeling settled in his gut at the thought however, and he dismissed it. She needed protection of some kind. He would be worried sick if she didn’t have any kind of warning or even understanding of the situation if the need arose.

“Look,” Asa finally said with a tinge of resignation, “the reason I can’t take her with me is because someone is stuck on my trail. I’ve got a creature that has sworn revenge on me and my counterpart and she is not far behind now. But I don’t think she knows about Sage.”

Asa didn’t meet Brandt’s eyes. Instead, he kept his gaze low and focused on his hands as he softly explained the situation. This could quite possibly solidify Brandt’s refusal even further, he realized. No rational creature would risk so much for another, but it was worth a shot.

“This creature is insane.” He added heavily. “My hope is to draw her away and slow her down until I can find a permanent solution. But no matter what she can’t know that I’ve found my counterpart. If she finds out, then Sage is as good as dead.”

The barrel groaned out a complaint as Asa stood from it to face Brandt. He awkwardly ignored it. Looking Brandt in the eye Asa decided to offer a kind of compromise.

“I don’t want to leave without knowing someone will keep an eye on her. I understand you’ve got a lot on your plate and dealing with my problems isn’t what you need. You don’t have to follow her or put your life on the line, I’m just asking that if danger arises you will warn her. Just tell her what to do in order to stay alive.”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:00 pm

Brandt sighed and looked down at the ground, scratching up some dirt with his clawed toes. He could hear the desperation in Asa's voice and knew that this was important to him. Something about what he had said, though, caught Brandt's attention. "Asa... If this creature is insane- well if you mean lost their counterpart and not juts crazy- they shouldn't be able to hunt you down. That goes against everything we've ever seen. Or even heard."

He shook his head for what seemed like the millionth time that night. "Look, I think if we took the time to actually think out a plan, we might be able to come up with a better one." He paused and put his hand on the back of his neck, looking down at the ground again.

"Look, I guess I can be honest with you since you were just honest, for the most part, with me." He sat down on the hood of an old rusted car and rested his feet on the front bumper of it, still not looking up at Asa. "I met my counterpart today." He continued his next sentence quickly after this, not giving Asa time to say anything, "It was horrible. She was drunk and held a gun to me when I tried to explain what was going on. She was afraid of me and threatened to shoot me if I followed her." He let out a long sigh. "I told her where to find me if she changed her mind and I'm assuming she will. She had to have felt something when she saw me, but I don't think she'll come back. She wasn't in great shape and there wasn't really anything I could do without risking getting shot, so I barely even got to explain things." He shut his eyes for a moment before glancing up at Asa. "For the first time in my entire life, I don't know what to do."

He looked down at the car he was sitting on as he dragged his claw across the rusted metal. "I'm going to wait here tomorrow to see if she shows up. That's why I don't trust myself to look after Sage. I can't risk leaving here and having... God, I don't even know her name... Having her show up while I'm gone. She would probably just convince herself that the whole thing never even happened."

Brandt paused again as he thought about the situation they were in. "Maybe you can have your friend distract this other creature until we figure out what to do. Or maybe you can get Sage to figure out how to leave school early and go on the run. I don't know..."

Brandt had never been so unsure of himself before. All he had ever wanted was to find his counterpart, but now that he had, life had gotten so much harder and more uncertain. It seemed to have gotten that way for Asa as well, though for different reasons than his own.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:39 pm

The unexpected news completely broke Asa’s train of thought and his brain stuttered over the odds of them both meeting their counterparts in the same day and in the same dumpy town. Not to mention the overwhelming amount of problems the two of them faced now
“Oh,” he said dazedly and plopped back down onto the barrel which almost disintegrated beneath him. Asa had met few other creatures so hell-bent on finding their counterpart as Brandt was. The poor guy just couldn’t catch a break, he thought. Even though he had finally found his counterpart she ended up being a wreck that didn’t even believe him. Asa now understood why Brandt had been so agitated since he had gotten back. It was probably the worst possible time for him to ask Brandt to watch Sage and he figured that the guy was probably starting to freak out by now.

It was a good assumption because Brandt only confirmed it by sounding so unsure of himself as he tried to figure out what to do next. His friend almost never sounded so unconfident. Asa was completely stumped himself.

“Okay,” Asa began uncertainly. “I know that my friend isn’t going to put herself in direct line of fire, but she will watch Sage for me until things get too dangerous for her. Which gives you time to figure out this problem with your counterpart. I wish I could help you but…” the sentenced died out while he spread his hands out in a helpless gesture. “If you want I can try to hook you up with my friend. She is a piece of work but has seen everything, she could probably give you a few ideas on convincing your counterpart. That’s about all I can do.”

With a discontented huff Asa rubbed his eyes. “I’m sorry I’ve got to ditch you. But now you have your own counterpart and do know if I could live with myself if the three of you got caught in the line of fire. I know insane creatures aren’t supposed to be driven like this one is but…she is different somehow. I-I’ve got to slow her down; she kills everything in her path…”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:03 pm

Brandt continued to stare at the line that he had scratched in the rust covered metal. He knew that he wasn't acting like himself and he began taking a few deep breaths to try and calm himself in order to think more clearly. That was how he had always solved his problems and known where to go and what to do next. By thinking clearly.

He took one more deep breath, letting out a long breath before he stood up and began to pace. "Alright... I need to convince my counterpart to accept me. You need to protect yours... My counterpart is already convinced that I'm a threat and doesn't believe anything I say. Yours is completely willing to cooperate. You have a friend who is willing to watch your counterpart for you to keep her out of danger and you also have an enemy that is hell-bent on destroying your counterpart..."

He was listing out their problems, more to himself than to Asa. He was simply laying out the pieces to their problem, preparing to put them together to form some sort of a solution. "You want to kill this enemy of yours so that you can slow her down, but there's no permanent solution to this problem... She'll just keep coming back if she's this determined to kill you or your counterpart."

Brandt was pacing back and forth next to the fire, tapping his beak with a claw as he thought. "Asa... You aren't really a great fighter. No offence, but I don't know if you could hold your own against a creature who's lost their counterpart and who's sole purpose is to destroy yours..."

He scratched his beak as he thought. "What if I went and took care of this creature for you? Your friend coud show me where to find her and be back in time to help you watch Sage while she's at school. You can stay here and wait for my counterpart. She doesn't trust me already, so seeing a more friendly face might help her. You could even have Sage to help explain things, depending on what time she got here. You can even keep Sage close by in case something does go wrong and your enemy shows up. It's not like me leaving is going to put my counterpart into danger. I have nobody hunting me. If I get killed, I'll just come back to life like always."

He knew that his idea seemed crazy, but he really thought it could work. He didn't know if he had more fighting experience that Asa did, but he was confident in his own abilities. He didn't worry about the safety of his counterpart. She had a gun and if she hadn't died from wandering the streets while intoxicated yet, then she could last a few more days without him around. He just hoped that Asa would be on board. Or come up with a better plan.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:39 pm

Cowardice and pride began to tug Asa’s heart back and forth until he cringed. He was so terrified to face Pieris that his first thought was, “Yes please, why don’t you guys take care of it!” But the pride and whatever shred of honesty he had left wouldn’t let that selfish thought enter into words. Asa’s hand rubbed his brow in thought. He wondered if he could live with himself if Brandt was hurt facing down Pieris or what would happen to him and his new counterpart if they got mixed up in all this. Was it the right thing, even if Brandt was the better fighter?

A much deeper and darker part of him felt the need to see Pieris. This face that hadn’t left his mind’s eye since his last life. She had been his family…how could he hand this off to someone else? The foolishness in him didn’t want to think of her as insane and hoped he could reason with her. But Asa wouldn’t admit the thought to anyone.

Could he win in a fight against her?

His diabolical vision both condemned and compelled him towards the answer to that question. Asa wasn’t sure if that is what scared him. No, what scared him most was the thought of seeing Pieris insane and being unable to help her. This unfixable gaffe he had created.

“I…I can’t let you do that,” Asa said in soft misery. He had been caught up in a web of guilt and regardless of his fear was unable to escape this sentence. “I have to do this. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I handed it off to you…but that was a much braver offer than I expected to hear.”

But now Asa had to come up a solution himself.

“No I need to face her myself. But your mention of Sage convincing this girl might be a good idea. Sage seemed ready to work with us for sure,” Asa shook his head at the thought of her barrage of questions. “You could have her go talk to your counterpart, maybe convince her to ease off those firearms you mentioned. If Sage is helping you then she won’t be alone and you can keep an eye on her and so can my friend, Ghost. I don’t think you counterpart will deny you completely, she is bound to you just as much as you are to her.”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:12 pm

Brandt watched as Asa was clearly trying to work out a conflict in his mind. He had no idea what his friend was going through, but he could tell that this problem was a lot more serious to Asa than he had originally told. Although, someone trying to kill his counterpart is pretty serious as well.

When Asa replied to his suggested plan, Brandt simply nodded. "I can't say that I understand what you are going through or why you want to do this, but I won't argue with you anymore. I'll wait here tomorrow for my counterpart and for Sage. Perhaps it would be best if you left in the morning so you could tell her what is going on and so she'll know where to go. Or, if you're eager to leave, leave a message with your friend to give to Sage."

He began pacing again as he spoke, clearly a little agitated by the sudden rise of problems in their lives. "I won't have Sage go to wherever my counterpart lives... She held a gun to me and I don't want to put Sage into any unnecessary danger, but if you can tell her that once she is done with school, she can come here. It'll be easier to keep track of her. Also, this friend of yours... Would you like her to stick around once Sage is with me or would it be better if she went and found you so she can keep me and Sage updated on your whereabouts and condition. If you happened to fail in your mission, it might be best to warn me ahead of time so I can prepare..."

He hadn't talked like this in a long time. He used to be with another group years before he had met Asa and they had done a lot more fighting than he had done with Asa. Something about this situation was bringing it all back, though, and he found it surprisingly easy to slip back into the role of planning for attacks and protection for all those involved. He had missed it.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:46 pm

Asa nodded gratefully when Brandt accepted his need to leave. It was hard to argue about going when he had already struggled with the decision to begin with. He tried not to overthink what might happen when he faced Pieris and shook his head as if to scatter the morbid thoughts. As he looked at Brandt pacing about he found it interesting how his friend had slipped into this change of mindset so swiftly. Asa never doubted that Brandt had had previous experience in battle.

“I will leave tonight. I don’t know how close she is behind us and I don’t want to risk another night for her to close the gap. The longer I wait to face her the closer she gets to Sage. My friend, Ghost, she can keep an eye on both of us as you suggested and I will have her get a message to Sage explaining everything. She has a right to know why I have to go…I guess I will have to get used to the idea of having a close partner.”

Moving to stand on his feet, Asa smoothed back his disheveled hair and gave Brandt a disheartened look.

“What a mess we’ve gotten into in just a matter of hours. We must have the rottenest luck any creature has ever had.” Asa wasn’t sure of the path ahead or the situation he was leaving behind, but at least he wasn’t entirely alone. He still had a few friends and that felt good.

“Brandt, I don’t know how long I will be gone,” Asa said bleakly. “If something happens don’t hesitate to move on. Ghost will do a good job at keeping track of the both of us, I will catch up to you eventually.”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:55 pm

Brandt nodded in response to what Asa had said. "I'll look after Sage as best I can. Don't worry, I've died many times before. Once more won't be too much for me to handle."

He looked back down at the fire. "You'd better leave quickly if you're in that much of a hurry. When you're fighting, just remember to protect yourself. It may work to try and lure her away and then hide for a few days. You can try to ambush her when she's looking for you. Also, when you kill her, or rather if you kill her, I would suggest burning her or digging a very deep hole to burry her in. It won't work forever, but it would buy you quite a bit of time. It's hard for a body to be restored from ashes and it's also hard for a body to heal when there are bugs trying to eat away at it."

He scratched his beak. "I'm not too worried about what will happen here. It sounds to me like you've got the hard part of this plan, but I have faith in you. Good luck." He nodded to Asa, Brandt's usual method of saying goodbye or hello, as Asa left the junkyard.

OOC- We can do a bit of a time skip if you'd like. We can just start the next day and say that Sage now knows and Asa has already found out from Ghost where Pieris is. Then maybe start Asa from where he finds Pieris and Sage and Max can start after school/whenever Max decides to show up, if she does.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:08 pm

For the first time since the train yard, Asa felt he had finally found a place safely out of the way to stand his ground against Pieris. He had stopped out of breath and exhausted at an abandoned warehouse that sat on the fringes of the large city with hardly a soul nearby. Stumbling through the building, he came to a stop in a paper strewn office room and collapsed behind a pile of crates and boxes. He sat there gulping in air to replenish his lungs.  It was the first moment he had stopped running since he encountered Pieris, and Asa was glad Ghost wasn’t around to see him. The moment of solitude, surrounded by the cardboard debris pilled against the brick walls and dusty gray light, served as a chance for him to process the last six hours.

In numb stillness, Asa silently wept. He sat there as the salt carved paths through the dirt and blood on his face, and thought of what Pieris had become made guilt burn in the back of his throat. The exhaustion of the day was getting to him, he knew.

After travelling all through the night, Asa went to the last known location of Pieris that Ghost had given him. It was a massive train yard at the edge of a large city that him and Brandt had camped at several weeks prior. Both him and Ghost doubted that Pieris would still be there, a lot of time had passed after all, and were merely looking for any traces the creature might have left behind. But Asa found none. As he wandered between the train cars in the early morning chill a deepening feel of dread began to spread throughout his body. She had been here, he knew that for sure. Ghost had seen her. But the insane creature had left no trail behind whatsoever.

Suddenly, a flash of images dashed across Asa’s mind in a split second warning of the coming attack. But it only served to throw him off guard. He reeled on his feet from the images he had seen just as a warped voice shrieked one word across the train yard.

Asa.

The memory chilled him to the bone and Asa couldn’t help but to look around the abandoned building to make sure Pieris wasn’t there. The initial scrimmage between them had left him worse for wear. He still had a hand pressed against his rib cage where she had taken a bite out of him, but the wound he received to his head seemed to have finally crusted over. If the civilian hadn’t gotten caught in the cross-fire then she probably wouldn’t have gotten him in the side. He numbly remembered how she tore into the train yard worker who had ran in to see the commotion. He had pulled her off the human just in time and it was his hope that the man would live.

After that initial encounter, Asa had led Pieris through a giant goose chase as he tried to get her away from any other humans they might stumble across. At some point Ghost had left, probably to go alert Brandt about the engagement, but that had been several hours ago. Looking down at the wound in his abdomen, he figured she wouldn't have much good news to take back. The fight had yet to really take place, however, and Asa hoped he might be able to finish things up before Ghost decided to come back.

It occurred to Asa that he needed to do something to prepare for the next attack. Brandt’s advice sprung to mind and he decided that an ambush would be his best chance. Fighting hand to hand combat was out of the question; Asa didn’t trust himself face to face with Pieris and she more than outmatched him anyways. As he shifted his seat the cardboard and paper stirred beneath him.

Ah, right. Fire is what he should use.

A familiar image flashed through his head and Asa cringed. Ash, blood, and glass. He shook the feeling off and with a drawn out groan hauled himself back onto his feet. He would need a way to get the fire to burn fast and hot. Gasoline, he thought to himself. There would probably be some in the garage side of the warehouse. Also if he dug through the drawers in some of the desks or office kitchen he could probably find some matches. All the cardboard and paper lying around would do the rest.

“Looks like I’ve got some work to do.”

~*~

The nauseating hangover that pounded against the sides of Max’s head the next morning was enough to make her regret the previous night’s drinks.  In a grumpy haze she shuffled her way to the kitchen, ignoring her roommate’s hiss as it ran from the room. She refused to make one coherent thought until she was sitting at the table nursing a mug of black coffee. Sitting in silence, she couldn’t help but think of the resounding events from last night’s drunken escapade.

“I’m an idiot.” With a groan Max buried her face in her hands as if to hide the shame. She had been foolishly reckless. Now she couldn’t be sure what was real, or if it had all been a stroke of insanity that she would avoid admitting to her psychologist. Something deep inside her whispered that it was true.

But she did her very best to ignore it.

As the day drug on the voice became unbearably persistent. Max spent her day at work casting glances over her shoulder as if the creature from the night before would suddenly appear. Observing the red-rimmed eyes and rotten attitude, her coworkers avoided any kind of interaction with her. Max hardly noticed. She couldn’t stop thinking about last night and the demon’s final words circulated round and round her head. If she really wanted to know the truth, it was waiting for her at the edge of town.

But Max was determined not to go. As usual with her stubbornness, she kept dismissing the whole thing as another stupid dream or hallucination. It wasn't until she had climbed into her car and was sitting at an intersection that she began to feel torn. If she turned left she would go home and spend the evening watching TV with an angry cat as company. But if she went straight...

The thought hadn’t finished forming in her mind before the light turned green and she was going straight, and away from home. That nagging voice had become to loud and something in her needed to know what was waiting for her in the junk yard. The streets were busy with traffic as school let out, but before she could change her mind Max had already parked in a lot behind the junk yard.

She slipped carefully through the gap in the fence without rattling the links, and stood cautiously scanning the piles of rusted cars and discarded junk for any signs of the creature from the night before.
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:24 am

Ghost had continued to watch Sage after Asa had left. She slept on the roof of the house, quickly waking up once she heard people moving around inside. Being a light and infrequent sleeper, it was easy for her to wake up at the right moment and be ready to go.

It was the beginning of summer, meaning the girl had left her window open for the night, so it was easy for Ghost to slip a note into her room, explaining that Asa would be gone, but she should go to the junkyard after school was over anyway. Brandt would be there to explain things and look after her.

Once she was sure that Sage was safely at school, she took off in the direction she had pointed Asa in. She figured as long as she kept an eye on him and the threat, Sage would be safe. If something went wrong and Asa couldn't stop Pieris, then she would just fly back and warn Brandt. Besides, she was quite a bit faster than Pieris or Asa when they were running, so she would be able to get there in plenty of time.

After a while of flying, she found the old train yard as well as a lot of blood, though it didn't smell like it was from the same person. Or creature. Both, actually. She circled above, keeping herself invisible to everyone around her as she searched. She heard a groan as she passed over some boxes and crates. She leaned her body and banked lower and, once she saw Asa, she landed on a stack of boxes so she was crouching over him.

She made herself slightly more visible, not looking more like a ghost than ever. He would be able to see an image of her, though he would also be able to see through her, her body appearig more like a fog than an actual living being. She kept her voice low when she spoke. "Hello Asa. You look like Hell. How's it going?"

^*^

Brandt didn't sleep well that night after Asa left. He spent another hour or so pacing around the campfire, thinking about how he was going to explain things to Sage and to his counterpart if she showed up. Then he was trying to figure out the best course of action if he heard the news that Asa had failed. He had no idea what he would be up against if he would have had to fight. He didn't know how he was going to convince Sage to just drop everything and leave and he was nowhere near convincing his own counterpart to even trust him, let alone leave with him.

Needless to say, he only got a few hours of sleep. Luckily, he was used to waking up early no matter how much sleep he had gotten and he had done a lot more with a lot less sleep, so he was pretty well prepared for the day.

Once he was awake and had eaten something, he began his pacing and planning once again, putting some more old lumber on the fire in order to keep it going, hoping the smoke would signal to his counterpart where he was if she decided to show up. The morning and early afternoon went by without a single visitor, unless he counted the rats that showed up.

It was mid-afternoon when he felt like something was different. The area he was in was well hidden from the fence and he hadn't heard anything, but he felt that familiar tug, which caused him to turn his head in the direction of the entrance, or at least the entrance that they had always been using. He didn't move in that direction, though. Instead he waited to see what would happen.

^*^

Sage had woke up that morning to find a note telling her to go to the junkyard to be with Brandt when she was done with school and that Asa would be gone for a while. She was, of course, sad to hear that Asa wouldn't be there, but she was happy that she wasn't being left out or forgotten. She told her mother that she would be home late because of studying or possibly not at all if studying went to late.

She went to school that day and sat through it, for once too eager to leave to pay too much attention to what she was supposed to be learning. Once school was over, she tried to leave as soon as possible, but was held up by some friends asking for her notes. She tried desperately to give them her notes as fast as possible, but they continued to try and talk with her, gossiping and telling stories. Normally, she enjoyed this, but not today.

Finally, they let her leave and she got on her bike, going as fast as possible to the junkyard. When she reached it, she chained her bike to the fence and climbed through the hole in it. Once she was through, though, she was surprised to see a woman there, looking around like she was suspicious of every scrap of metal around her.

Sage, not wanting to startle her, cleared her throat but kept a good distance away from her. "Um, hello. I didn't expect to see another person, what are you doing out here?" She didn't ask in an accusatory or suspicious way. Instead, her tone sounded as if she were genuinely curious, which she was.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:14 am

A voice suddenly materialized behind Asa, causing his heart to proceed and try to leave his chest by leaping out of his throat. With a both startled and pained cry he whipped around expecting to see Pieris pouncing on him in a hurricane of claws and teeth. Instead, he was both relieved and furious when he saw the translucent form of Ghost perched mischievously on the boxes. She always had the worst possible timing.

“Ghost!” He growled angrily, doing his best not to yell and draw attention. “What the hell is wrong with you? I’ve just spent the last few hours being chased halfway around a city by a demented creature, couldn’t you at least give me a LITTLE heads up?”

Asa moaned miserably and leaned heavily against the brick wall of the office room. He cradled his arm against his side as he glowered at Ghost resentfully.

“Since you asked,” he added moodily, “Things have been going as could be expected. The train yard was getting too busy to stay there; humans were going to get hurt. So I led her halfway around the city to this dump,” he gestured around the abandoned room inside the large warehouse. “I was going to try and settle things in here, it doesn’t look like anyone will be coming around.”

Moving towards one of the old, forgotten work desks Asa began to root through the drawers in search of any matches. “I plan on setting a trap and using fire to stop her.” Inside one drawer a lighter lolled on top of some old, empty cigarette packs and he lifted it victoriously. He tested it out and the flame sputtered into life when he flicked the button. “Finally, a stroke of luck.”

“I assume you got the message to Sage. When Pieris gets here I need you to be ready to fly back and warn Brandt if things start getting rough. Don’t forget our priority is keeping our counterparts safe.” Asa then added quietly, “You can’t get involved in this fight. If you get wounded or even taken down then Brandt won’t get the warning he needs.”

Asa turned and gave Ghost a steady look. “When I set things on fire you need to be in the air and ready to go.”

~*~

Max turned as she heard someone back by the fence. She frowned as she watched a younger girl chain her bike up and curiously make her way closer. This wasn’t what she had expected to happen. Again Max glanced around the yard as if it would give her any explanation as to why a highschooler would be coming all the way out here to hang out around piles of junk. Maybe drugs, she thought with a mental shrug.

“I didn’t expect to see another person, what are you doing out here?” The girl asked curiously. This was all very strange, she thought to herself. The kid didn’t seem startled, guilty, nervous—nothing. But here they were trespassing in a junkyard outside the city. She figured the average teenager would be terrified of getting caught out here. But this girl was unperturbed.

“I’m meeting someone,” Max answered shortly. “What’s a kid like you doing way out here, shouldn’t you be at home or something?”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:13 pm

Ghost chuckled at him clearly amused by having scared him. She listened, though, as he explained his plan. "Don't worry, Sage is taken care of and I can take care of myself. I do plan on watching this battle until the end, though. Remember, I warned you that Pieris would be here a few days before she would even be at the city where you were. I can make it back to the city long before she even figures out where to go."

She stood up on the crates, the old wooden boxes creaking slightly under the shifting of weight. "Well, I think you should know that Pieris is getting closer. I saw her skulking around outside a couple buildings down. She should be here soon, so I'd suggest that you hurry."

She looked up and around the building before leaping up and pumping her wings once, grabbing on to one of the rafters and pulling herself on to it. She laid across the beam and looked down at him, her tail hanging down lazily. "I think this spot will have a nice view, don't you agree?"

^*^

Sage smiled. "Well, I'm meeting someone too! And I don't have to be home for a while."

She walked forward toward where she knew Brandt was, seeing some smoke from a fire. She didn't look back to see if Max was following, not really considering the fact that this person might think this looked strange or that she could even be dangerous. At the moment, she felt safe, so she continued on toward Brandt. Plus, Sage knew that if this person did see Brandt, she would only see him as a human, not as a creature.

Sage quickly made her way to where Brandt was leaning against an old car. "Hello Brandt!" She waved to him as she walked into the small clearing. He smiled, or at least she thought he did, it was hard to tell with his beak, and waved back at her.

"Hello Sage. No trouble getting here after school?"

Sage shook her head. "No, but there is a woman here looking around. I'm not sure why she's here, but I don't think she's dangerous. Well, not to us, at least. Right now."

Brandt stood up at these words and looked around. "Really?" He had a feeling that she was around, but with the news that she had actually been seen and it wasn't just in his head, he felt a flutter of hope in his chest. "I'll be right back. Stay here."

He left a confused looking Sage by the fire as he walked the direction that Sage had come from, hoping that his counterpart would still be there.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Asa didn’t answer Ghost. According to her Pieris was right outside…the strange sensation of panic spread through his body and made each nerve feel tingly and hot with alarm. Yet he was too tired to show the signs of his fear on the outside. Tucking the lighter into his pocket, Asa moved to search for something to ignite the fire. The warehouse was rather extensive he realized, and he felt it took unbearably long to find where the garage was. After checking five different rooms he finally stumbled across what looked more like a hangar which connected to the rest of the building. It was relatively empty, but in a corner where some tools had been left behind Asa spotted the red gasoline tank he was hoping for.

Only half was left of the five-gallon tank. Asa realized it would be enough to set a fire but not enough to make it hot enough to set Pieris on fire.

“Not unless applied directly,” he said to himself. If he planned on burning Pieris to death he would need to make sure that she wouldn’t be able to put it out. In order for his plan to work, Asa would have to soak her in gasoline.

“That should be easy,” he muttered sarcastically.

Asa lugged the tank back through the building and into the room where Ghost was perched up in the rafters. He set the fuel on the ground and an annoyed look. The creature looked far too casual strung out on her perch and watching with what appeared to be mild amusement. Did she take anything seriously?

“Hey, Misty, I need some help if it won’t interfere with your evening plans too much,” he sardonically called out. “I’m going to lead Pieris in here. From your convenient perch up there, I need you to pour all this gasoline on her when moves under you. That way I can use this lighter to set her on fire…” he drew the object from his pocket to show her.

“Do you think you can do that for me?”

~*~

As the girl left, Max stood looking after her in disbelief. The kid just came and went on her own merry way and seemed to take everything nonchalantly. She didn’t question a thing. Max shook her head incredulously.

Abruptly she realized that in the direction the girl had gone a thing trail of gray smoke was curling upwards behind some piles of junk. The sudden image came to mind of the girl stumbling across the creature Max had met last night, and being terrified out of her wits. Cursing her slowness of mind Maxine started forward.

She had barely made it two strides before Brandt suddenly rounded a corner and appeared from behind a pile of cars. She froze in her steps with sudden surprise which quickly gave way to wariness. It was real. All that had happened last night was real after all. Max’s eyes jumped from his beak to his tail then focused on his strange eyes. It hadn’t been a drunken dream after all.

“I wasn’t entirely sure what I would find today,” she called out guardedly. “I guess last night was as bizarre as I remember.”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:21 pm

Ghost watched him curiously, her tail swaying back and forth, looking much like a cat's. She rested her head on her hand and hung her other hand over the edge, lightly tapping on the old wooden beam she was resting on.

When she heard him ask her for help she chuckled and rolled off of her perch, using her wings like a parachute to slow her descent to the ground. She landed next to Asa, grabbing the gasoline from him. "Wow Asa, you've gotten a lot darker in spirit since we last met. What happened to the light-hearted creature I used to know."

With another laugh, she jumped back up to her perch, though she positioned herself a little closer to the door. "Okay Asa, you have to make sure to hold her still so I can drench her, but, you know, don't get yourself covered in gas and then set on fire. I don't want to have to carry you back to your counterpart. Or to have to explain that you killed yourself in this brilliant plan of yours." She didn't bother disappearing this time, knowing that the gas can wouldn't disappear with her.

^*^

Brandt quickly found himself face to face with his counterpart. He looked at her for a moment, holding back a sigh of relief and keeping himself composed as he spoke to her. "I'm glad you decided to show up. If you'd be willing to give me another chance to explain, I think I can do a better job this time. I have someone else here who I think can help me. You may have met her when she was on her way to see me."

As he said this, Sage burst out from behind him, causing him to jump in surprise and clutch his chest as she yelled. "That was me! I didn't know you knew Brandt or I would have shown you where to find him! I thought you were just some strange person who wandered into here by accident. Sorry."

She smiled as she continued talking, much like she did when she had first met Asa. "My name is Sage! You must be Brandt's partner." She paused for a very short moment as she realized that this person may not know what that meant. "Well, that might sound strange, but I'm sure I can explain more things to you and answer any questions. Actually, Brandt would probably be able to do that better than I can, but you might take it better from another person. Come on, their camp is just over here!" She took off down the path, leaving Brandt and Max to simply stand there and look after her.

Brandt sighed and shook his head, muttering to himself, "I told her to to stay..." before he turned back to Max. "Well, I guess if you're willing Sage and I can answer any questions you might have." He held his arm out, holding it in the direction that Sage had gone as a gesture for her to go ahead of him, if she was still interested, of course. He wasn't planning on holding her hostage.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:43 am

“Being chased by a blood-thirsty creature that used to be your family changes a man,” Asa muttered as she took the fuel from him. She was right though, he realized dimly. Up until he dived inside this building he had been more afraid then he had ever been in his life. But a resigned calmness had begun to settle over him. Perhaps it was the exhaustion taking its toll on him or maybe something in him really had changed. Either way, Asa thought, at least he was calm enough to think straight.

Asa stood hunched over and clutching his side like a weathered old man, and watched as Ghost returned to her post in the rafters. He was glad she would be here. The elusive creature had been present for much of this saga and it felt only right she would be overlooking this part of it.

“Don’t worry about me, I’m not burning to death in this lifetime.”

The trap felt ready to be sprung. Pieris would probably be sniffing around outside now, looking for a way in like a hound on a foxhole. He winced at the thought. She used to be such a remarkable leader and friend and for her to be reduced to what she was now seemed horribly unjust. Guilt stabbed at his heart for what he felt was his fault.

“I’m going to see if she is outside and then draw her in. I don’t want her sneaking up on us…again.”

Asa turned and walked out of the door he had come through the very first time. He treaded lightly down several of the hallways, warily checking rooms and peeking around corners, until he stopped at the entrance of an immense storeroom. Fallen steel racks and packing supplies cluttered the area and made it difficult to maneuver through. The pale light that struggled through the windows in the ceiling above illuminated all of the dust that hung heavy in the air.

Something held Asa rooted in that doorway. He couldn’t move on from this place and it began to draw him in. The stillness of the room was barely disturbed as he stepped through the echoing room with wariness. His blue eyes were widely looking around as if he could see the whole room at once if he tried hard enough. Suddenly alarm leapt in his heart; he could feel her eyes on him. Watching his every breath from a spot of invisibility.

“Before us great Death stands. Our fate held close within his quiet hands.” The words rolled low across the room and came from every corner. Her soft voice seeped into his thoughts and chilled his heart. Asa wildly looked around.

“And ecstasy through all our being leaps—Death bows his head and weeps,” she recited with vicious glee. Asa grew very still and thickly swallowed the lump of fear lodged in his throat.

“Pieris, come out.”

~*~

Nothing served to confuse her more than the girl that kept popping up when she least expected it. The kid had zero self-control and way too much excitement. Max frowned at Sage as she bounced out of site after blurting out a string of perplexing information.

Partner? Their camp? As in more than one?

She looked back at the strange creature as he spoke up again. He seemed to be as taken back by the girl as Max was, she realized with a sense of mild amusement. Apparently the kid couldn’t follow orders.

“No. You go first,” she answered bluntly. Never turn you back on a potential threat, her experience reminded her. Max fell in behind Brandt as they walked to his campsite. She couldn’t believe she was actually going along with this, but something just wouldn’t let her turn away.
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top