The Creatures

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Creatures

Post by WolfStorm on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:51 pm

Ghost crouched on the wooden beam, tapping her extended claws on the old wood as she waited, bored, for Asa to lure Pieris back in. Like most other creatures, her own senses were heightened and she had listened to Asa leave. At the moment, the only thing she could really smell was the gasoline in the container that she was holding, though there was the lingering scent of blood left behind from Asa. So, the only thing she could rely on was her hearing.

She had listened to Asa walk out of the room, hearing his footsteps echo slightly off the walls of the rather empty building. The more he searched, the further away he got and the quieter his footsteps became. That didn't bother her at all, though, because she hadn't yet heard Pieris. Neither were close to her at the moment.

Then, she heard muffled speaking. This was definitey not Asa. The voice had a feminine note to it and was higher pitched than Asa's voice. Even though she couldn't understand the words, it was clear that they were not being spoken from any sort of sane being. The voice not only sounded insane, but also dangerous. Then Asa's voice pierced through the quiet tone. Although his words were much louder than Pieris', she still could not understand what was being said.

So, she knew that Asa had found his enemy and she hoped that he would be able to draw her back. Ghost wasn't cruel enough to let Asa deal with this completely on his own, but she didn't want to leave her spot and risk messing up the plan. Instead of risking anything, she waited and listened. Listened for them to be running toward her or for a fight to break out. Anything, really.

^*^

Brandt nodded when she refused to go ahead of him. He should have known. If he were to make a guess as to what made her this way, he would assume that she had been through some sort of traumatic experience. There were many people in the world that were paranoid on their own, without any event having occurred in their lives to cause it, but she seemed like she knew the dangers of acting a certain way. The fact that she had been so steady with a gun showed him that she had plenty of experience, so he would guess that she had training in that area. Perhaps as a police officers or maybe even some branch of the military. Brandt had long ago stopped keeping track of whatever wars the humans were in. He knew much of the history, but after that many, it was hard to count the number of skirmishes that had happened between countries or within countries.

So, he walked ahead of her the short distance back to the campsite, where Sage was already seated by the fire and waiting eagerly for the two to join her. Brandt took up his original position leaning against the car and waited for his counterpart to choose her spot before he spoke. "So, why don't we start completely over. I'm Brandt. Sage has already introduced herself. And your name?" He paused, letting her say her name, or not, before he continued.

"Since Sage was in the same position as you are in now, quite recently, I think it would be best to let her explain things. Sage, go ahead."

The young girl, not having known about any of this before-hand, bounced excitedly and turned to face Max. "Okay, well, firstly, you should know that they are immortal. They can't be killed and they don't die of old age. The cool thing is, now that we found them, we aren't going to age anymore either. I don't really know what or who decides which creatures we get, but we have powers like they do. Well, not really powers because they don't work like that, but it's more like enhanced abilities or something. Like my partner, Asa, can see visions of the future. I can't do that, but I can get feelings about something bad that might happen or something good. I never know what's going to happen like he does, though.

"Also, we're connected to these creatures somehow. Even though they can't be killed, we still can and if we get killed, then they go crazy or something like that. I've only known them for a day, so I don't know how any of this works, but Brandt explained it all to me. He has cool powers too, but I've never seen him use them. He says that he can heal wounds! That sounds pretty cool. What kind of ability do you have? Have you noticed that you're kind of different in some way? How-"

"That's probably enough, Sage." He cut her off before she could start asking too many questions. "I think she might need a minute to take this in. Maybe ask a few questions of her own." Sage nodded and looked expectantly at Max, though it wasn't clear if she was waiting for an answer to her questions or for Max to ask some questions of her own. Brandt simply kept his arms crossed in front of him, only wanting to speak when he had to. He still, to his disappointment, had no idea what to do about this situation.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:41 am

“Pieris, come out.”

The sudden fear of being cut off from the nearest exit compelled Asa to creep slowly backwards to the door. He placed his feet carefully, slowly, and continued to watch for movement around him. The first step back earned him a hiss from somewhere off to his left. A cardboard box was knocked over from a spot ahead of him.

“No running!” She hissed venomously.

Asa caught a flash of movement to his right and saw a pair of predatory yellow eyes glare at him before disappearing again. The adrenaline now pumping through his body made Asa forget the pain and exhaustion as his mind focused on how to survive. He was moving for the door more hurriedly now. But his brain reminded his instincts that he had to draw her out and get her where he wanted.

“I still hear his voice, you know. He keeps telling me about what he and that girl used to do to you when no one was looking.” Pieris was baiting him with words and Asa struggled to keep calm. “Cane was always so clever when it came to messing with people’s heads. Humans have such a savage streak in them.”

This is what he had been most terrified of. Although an unpleasant prospect, death was only a temporary pain for Asa. But he had spent so many years…hundreds even…trying to forget those two humans and what they had cost him. It took so long for him to learn how to move on. He couldn’t face what he had done and the price it cost. Humans were just so fragile and in a flash of rage he ended up losing the dearest friend he had ever known.

“How about your human, Asa?” Her voice adopted a hungry tone to it. “Where is your counterpart? I’ve spent so many long years deciding what I’m going to do to them…”

“Come out!” Asa shouted. His breathing came heavy as he spun around in desperation to find her. Pieris slowly stepped out in front of him with a grin that wrapped around her gleaming eyes. Her shrunken and twisted frame stood there as her claws twitched to sink into him.

“Are you going to cry, Asa? Cry like you used to when you thought we couldn’t hear you?”

Feeling much like a wild and hunted animal himself, Asa snarled his fangs at her and his tail swished angrily. She replied in kind, her yellowed teeth and blistered gums flashing back at him. Something inside him felt like it snapped and burned, and he realized that this thing in front of him no longer had a shred of Pieris left. She had been swallowed up by her insanity.

“Come and get me,” Asa barked. There was a sudden explosion of motion as Pieris launched herself across the room at him. In foolish rage, he hurled himself into her and tore at her tooth and claw. She sunk her teeth into his neck and shoulder as they crashed through the room and Asa struggled to pull her off. They slammed into racks and crates as they tumbled and tore at each other. Pieris had one set of claws lodged deep into the previous wound in his side while she tore his head backwards by the hair. He roared in pain and together they tumbled backwards into an open crate of stored window panes. The glass shattered and tore into his skin as Asa was sandwiched between the broken panes and Pieris’s fury.

Panic rose up and swallowed his anger as he realized he was trapped beneath her. If he died here she wouldn’t be baited to Ghost. With every ounce of strength he had left, Asa clawed and punched his way out from underneath her then bolted for the exit. He tore out the door only to slip and fall as he turned down the hall. His head spun and he slowly realized he was bleeding out too much. His wet hands struggled to push him back on his feet. Pieris crashed through the door behind him as he barreled down the hall towards the room where Ghost was waiting. Every step was fueled by desperation and adrenaline as she followed hot on his heels.

Asa burst into the paper littered office room and scrambled to remove the lighter from his pocket. Pieris bound into the room after him with hatred in her eyes, as he hoarsely screamed, “Now, Ghost!”

~*~

Max stood at the campsite with arms crossed and a wide stance as she watched the two strangers. It was with both interest and caution that she observed them, trying to get a read on what they were like. It was hard to read Brandt at all. His beak, claws, eyes, tail…she couldn’t figure out what he was thinking and it made her uneasy. But he also exuded a kind of calmness that intrigued her.

Sage, well she got tired of the kid real fast. The excitement and endless stream of chatter was exhausting to listen to and it was a struggle to keep up. Her boundless energy reminded Maxine of a small, excited dog.

“Max,” she answered Brandt shortly. “My name is Max.”
As she listened to Sage, interest furrowing her brow, she absently wondered if the girl needed to breathe between sentences at all. The information washed over her and she did her best to absorb everything and take it in stride. Most of it sounded absolutely crazy though. Immortality? She wasn’t sure how she felt about that either.

Brandt cut off the stream of words coming from Sage and Max took a deep breath then let it out slowly. Her mind turned things over, trying not to get stuck on the oddity of it all.

“So if both you, the creature, and the human partner are somehow paired up with relating…powers,  does that mean you are stronger when you are together? And if the human decides to leave it’s creature will they cease to be immortal?”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:25 am

Ghost listened intently at what was happening. She heard more words exchanged, though they were becoming more intense and aggressive than before. Still unable to understand what they were saying, she simply had to settle for guessing, though that was pretty much impossible. Her body was tense and still as she listened, but she couldn't help jerking her body slightly in response to the sudden sound of a fight breaking out. "What are you doing, Asa?" She muttered to herself. He wasn't supposed to be fighting her.

She continued to listen as the fighting seemed to be getting closer. While listening to the fighting, she had been simply staring at the wall in front of her, too intent on listening to care about what her eyes were resting upon. However, she heard them getting closer and her head quickly snapped down, looking at the opening and ready to dump the gasoline on Pieris when the time came.

Shortly after hearing them getting closer, Asa burst through the door with Pieris shortly behind him. She noticed that they were both covered in fresh blood, but that didn't matter for the moment. Instead, what mattered was the gas. She had started pouring it at almost the same moment that Asa had yelled to her to dump it.

She watched as the discolored liquid became a small waterfall onto Pieris, soaking her upon contact and splashing around her, ensuring that the area around her would also burn. Once the container was empty, Ghost threw it to the side and prepared to jump. There was a skylight above her, which she knew she would easily be able to break out of. However, she wasn't so sure about Asa. He didn't look to good and, as much as she hated to get involved, she wouldn't feel right leaving him behind to bleed out, burn to death, or both. She knew that she would be able to carry him a short distance while flying and prepared to grab him if she needed to.

^*^

Brandt tapped his beak, his normal motion for when he was thinking. "Well, as far as I know, the proximity of the two has nothing to do with the strength of the power. However, I do know that the longer a pair are together, the stronger and more precise the powers become. Almost as if the two either learn from each other or draw power from each other."

He paused for a moment as he considered the last part of her question. "I don't think the human or creature have much of a choice in the matter. If the human decided to leave, they would still be immortal, but you're both still human, so you can be killed just like any other human. Your abilities are helpful because they might be able to help you survive certain things, but death is still possible.

"In many cases, if one chooses to leave, they are usually drawn back. The two are connected and there's no getting away from that. The human may feel safe around the creature and not want to leave and the creature might feel the need to protect their counterpart. I've only heard of one case where the human left and it didn't turn out too well. It lasted for a while, but when everyone around the human started dying, they had nobody left..." He stopped himself before this became too depressing. "Anyway, it's almost unheard of for a human to just abandon their partner and never come back. Or for the creature to leave the human."

He looked at Sage. "Which reminds me, Sage. Asa had to leave to try and take care of an old... Friend. He should be back soon, don't worry."

Sage smiled at him. "Oh, I'm not worried! I would know if I should be worried!"

Brandt nodded to her then turned his attention back to Max. "Do you have any other questions?"
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:13 am

The gasoline poured down from the rafters, soaking Pieris and the papers scattered around her. As he held out the lighter with his finger brushing the button there was a strange pause in all of the action. It was as if she connected the dots. He watched his old leader steadily as her gaze rose from the fuel that soaked her and locked eyes with him.

The lighter sparked to life and Asa set the floor on fire.

The low flames spread across the papers until they licked at the fuel. A sudden woosh filled the room with a wave of heat that engulfed the wailing creature. Asa cringed at the sound of Pieris shrieking in pain as the flames ate her flesh and spread hungrily to the rest of the room. The fire began to grow and Asa drug himself out of the room through the back door, and collapsed against the outside wall.

He slid slowly to the ground with a long and painful groan. An orange glow cast a long, flickering stream of light from the door and the heat blew ashes around him. The screams were fading. He hoped Ghost made it out before the flames got too high and wondered where she was. Probably nearby, watching as always; just a pair of vigilant brume eyes.

Asa coughed and there was a deep pain in his chest. He looked down at his wrecked body and winced at the deep wounds that carved through his flesh. Oh, he wanted the pain to end. A weird sense of déjà vu settled over him and with a painful headache he remembered why. Perhaps at this point, dying would be easier than trying to recover from this. He gave one pained huff of laughter. Like he had a chance to bounce back from this. Already he could feel a strange darkness begin to settle over him.

Asa rolled his head back up and looked around with a frown. “Ghost?” he called out hoarsely. Suddenly he wanted the creature there.

~*~

Max slowly nodded in understanding. It made sense to her in a strange way: the more they trained together, so to speak, the more compatible they would become. Just like training with any kind of team or like her squad.

The second answer left her a little disappointed but not very surprised. The two counterparts would be bound together forever…like two halves of the same piece.

She listened to Brandt’s aside to Sage with some interest. So Sage’s partner must be this Asa character. The way Brandt said the words made things sound vaguely ominous, yet Sage seemed completely unbothered by this. Perhaps this had something to do with the connection Brandt was talking about. Another thought occurred to her.

“As a matter of fact, yes I do. What makes you think I’m your counterpart? I tried to shoot you last night, that doesn’t make you think we’re not meant to be partners?”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Ghost watched as Asa lit Pieris on fire, the few sparks suddenly igniting into a mini inferno which took no time in consuming Pieris, though her screams could still be heard. When she felt a gust of hot air hit her, she wrapped her wings protectively around herself and continued to look down at Pieris.

She watched as Asa dragged himself out of the building, but she didn't leave quite yet. The fire was spreading, but she wanted to make sure that Pieris didn't like. The screams quickly faded and the struggling ceased after a while. Her body was simply twitching and writhing on the ground as the fire began to spread even more, starting to climb up toward the ceiling.

With a sigh, she jumped from her perch and shot up toward the skylight, breaking pretty easily through the old glass. Once she was outside, she stood on the edge of the roof for a moment, breathing in some fresh. Then she heard her name being called in a hoarse voice. Looking down, she saw Asa leaned against the wall, looking rather beat up as he laid in a growing pool of blood.

She dropped down from the rooftop, landing lightly next to him and sitting down. She sat in silence for a moment, knowing that he was going to die. The moment wasn't that sad, but it was different from many of the other deaths. "Well, you did it. She won't be coming back from that any time soon. Don't worry, I'll stay here until you come back. I'll probably have to help you get back to Sage anyway, so I might as well stick around."

She paused, waiting to see if he had anything else to say before he died, if he wasn't already dead. She hoped that she was at least some sort of comfort to him.

^*^

Brandt paused for a moment, trying to think of a way to answer her question that would make sense. "Well, I guess I just had a feeling about it. Most creatures feel drawn toward their counterpart, even if they don't know who it is. That's how they know where to look, though it's only a vague feeling and it is really easy to ignore. Many do ignore it.

"When I saw you, I guess something just clicked. I knew that it was you and the fact that you could see me for what I was proved that you were some creature's counterpart. Humans can only see us in a human form, not for what we really are."

He paused again and thought back to when they had first talked. "I also said something in our first conversation about you possibly having some sort of healing ability. When I said that, your expression changed. Very briefly, but I still saw it. Whatever I said made sense to you."

He shrugged. "I guess it's hard to explain, but you didn't shoot me, so you must not have felt like you were in too much danger. Why didn't you shoot me when you first saw me?" He couldn't help but ask this question. His mind registered the fact that Sage was sitting quietly, for once, while she was watching their exchange. He didn't move his eyes from Max, though, as he waited for her response and possibly more questions.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:56 pm

Asa gave tried to give her a crooked, bloody grin when she landed but just ended up coughing instead. He wiped some blood from his mouth with the back of his hand and took a few deep, shaky breaths. What would happen next gave him an uneasy feeling. The last few years he had this very moment burned into his mind and hovering over him constantly. Was he ready for this next vision?

“You…” he took a shallow breath as words seemed to become a struggle. “You don’t have to wait for me. Just stay until I’m gone then go back…back to Brandt and fill him in. This might take a little while…and when I get back…I want to take care of her ashes when she is done burning…spread them around…slow her down.”

Asa squeezed his eyes shut and bore his teeth at the pain in his chest and back. Several shattered pieces of glass were still lodged in his back like quills on a porcupine, and every breath caused them to slice deeper into his flesh. He opened his eyes and tried to focus on Ghost but it was becoming increasingly difficult.

“Glass…in my back,” he tried to tell her. “Get them out when I go…easier for me to come back.”

Taking short and shallow breaths, Asa closed his eyes and just tried to let himself go. It was very still for several short moments, then without a sense of warning his heart stopped and all thought was gone. In the growing silence the crimson blood stained the glass and ashes from the burning building were scattered about his body.

~*~

Max realized how much of this ‘finding your counterpart’ stuff was just guesswork. Brandt’s entire kind had their sanity tied to humans, and apparently if the human died—natural causes or no—then these creatures would be insane for the rest of eternity. But it seemed that there was no easy way to pick out where their partner was. She cast her mind back to their meeting last night and tried to remember what was said in her drunken haze.

“Several months back I was…in an accident of sorts. Doctors told me I should have been dead but somehow survived. Long story but…I felt like I was dead but something kept me alive. What you said last night about a healing ability just struck me odd.”

Max cleared her throat awkwardly and looked at the ground for a moment as she shook the memory off. Not here, she told herself. She looked back up and steadily met Brandt’s gaze.

“I don’t know why I didn’t shoot you. I certainly wanted to, no offense, but I just couldn’t seem to be able to do it. Maybe…maybe you’re right,” she said with a frown. It wasn’t what she thought would ever come out of her mouth but how could she ignore what stood right in front of her. As unbelievable as it was.

"So what happens next? What does your kind do once they find their counterpart?"
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Ghost nodded in understanding at what he had said before she leaned back against the wall and folded her wings around her, almost acting like a cape. She waited a few more moments, staring forward and not watching him as he died. Once she heard his last breath, she waited a moment, making sure he was no longer breathing. Then she turned and crouched beside him, watching for any movement before checking for a pulse.

Once she was satisfied that he was dead, she leaned his body forward, beginning to pick the glass from his back. It only took her a few moments and, after checking to make sure she had gotten it all, she stood and stretched.

She spread her wings, feeling the slight breeze picking up. Deciding that she wanted a better spot to leap from, she climbed the side of the building, her claws digging in relatively easily. The building hadn't burned too much, the fire had mostly gone out when it had reached the metal walls. She took one more look into the room at the body, which was now almost completely burned down to the bone, before she took a deep breath and leaped from the roof of the building, spreading her wings and starting to glide. As she flew, her body disappeared.

^*^

Brandt thought a moment before answering her question. It was definitely the hardest one so far. "That's a good question. It's not like we really have a purpose or goal once we find each other. Well, not one that we are aware of, at least. Some creatures believe in a higher purpose and a creator, or something like that. You'll have plenty of time to learn about all that, though."

Sage, who had been sitting quietly the entire time, now decided to speak up. "Yeah, now we can do things like travel and we'll never feel like we're wasting time or anything because we have all the time in the world!" She was clearly excited, no longer thinking about all of the negative aspects of being immortal.

Brandt was about to answer her when he stopped and looked up at the sky. He could have sworn her had heard something, but he didn't seen anything. Then, across the small clearing, dust rose around an invisible being before a female creature became visible to them all. She was far enough away that she couldn't do any damage without moving closer and Brandt realized that she could have pretty easily killed any of them before they knew she was there, so she may not be violent.

That didn't stop Brandt from leaping up an standing protectively in front of Sage and Max, though he was more in between them than actually in front of them. "Who are you?"

The creature put her hands up and took a step back, her wings folding against her back. Brandt noticed that there was a small amount of blood on her hands, but he listened as she spoke. "Whoa, I'm not a threat. Asa sent me. I'm supposed to tell you that he did what he went to do. There were some complications, so he won't be back for a while, but no one's in any danger." She took another step back. "So, I did my part. I'm going back to check on Asa..."

Then, the stranger turned, jumped up onto the junk pile, and then into the air, disappearing as her feet left the junk heap. Brandt stared after where she had disappeared for a moment longer, his body still tense, before he relaxed a little and went to lean against the old car again. "Asa did say he had a friend who was helping him..."

He then looked back at Max. "Well. Anyway, back to your original question. I guess we can do whatever we want now. I've done a lot of travelling, so I have no preference on where we go or what we do. What have you always wanted to do?"
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Sights and sounds flooded Asa’s senses. People were flashing past him and seemed to be fighting with each other. He wasn’t sure how long he had been standing there or when he became aware of it. A powerful fear of death had filled him for some reason, and Asa looked around the battle for an answer. He saw a pair of beings which radiated a sense of old and terrible power, and they fought together in perfect unity that made them unstoppable. He couldn’t make out any of the shapes clearly and tried to see who they were. Before he could recognize anyone, there was as sudden explosion of pain that burned through Asa’s back and protruded from his chest. A feminine voice cried out his name in horror from somewhere nearby as he crashed to the ground.

With a frantic gasp Asa’s eyes flew open and he clutched his chest in pain. There was a moment of disconcerting fright as he tried to figure out where he was and what was going on. He was laying on the ground, a headache pounding away at the inside of his head and a terrible smell filling his nose. Burned flesh. The smell triggered the memories of his last life.

Asa sat up slowly, mostly because all his muscles felt incredibly weak and sore. Slowly he turned his head to look around for Ghost but she was gone, he presumed, to fill Brandt in like he had asked. As he looked to the sky he realized it had already been several hours since he had died. She would be back soon. He gradually pulled his feet up under him and stood, leaning heavily against the wall. All the repair his body had to go through made his muscles feel like jello and his energy…well there wasn’t any energy, really.

“It’s good to be back,” he grumbled.

Using the wall as support he shuffled back to the door and apprehensively peered around the corner. The room was stained black and carpeted with ashes. He noticed a pile of hot bones where Pieris once was. Asa moved to stand by them and stared at the remains with a distant look.

“You’re a funny kid, you know that?” She had once told him.

“What do you mean by that?”

“All the other creatures want to find their counterparts or are too busy handling jobs that come in. But you would rather goof off out here with the stray cats without of worry in the world. You’re not a fighter like they are.”

“I can fight,” Asa said defensively.

“Not yet, you can’t,” she laughed. He gave her a hurt look. “Don’t worry, I’ll teach you…but don’t change too much, okay sweetheart? Its nice to have someone like you around for a change.”

Asa nudged one of her bones with the toe of his boot. In order to really slow her down he would need to bury each bone separately and spread out the ashes, he thought to himself. It would take weeks for her to come back from that. Maybe he could find a way to fix her in that time. Ghost had mentioned an ancient pair who might know something but the images of the beings he saw in his vision were still fresh in his mind. Were they the same pair?

“New life, new problems,” Asa muttered.

Over the next hour Asa slowly took care of Pieris’s remains. Once he was finished he went back outside where the air was fresher and sat down wearily some ways from the building. It didn’t take long for him to fall asleep as he waited for Ghost to get back.

~*~

Max had been staring at Sage and pondering the girl’s naivety of immortality when the hairs on the back of her neck stood up. Brandt must have noticed something too because he stopped before saying something and looked up. She could hardly believe her eyes as another creature materialized literally out of thin air. One hand thoughtlessly flashed to her side but Max cursed when she realized that there was no handgun there.

Brandt had jumped forward defensively and addressed the creature. Max watched the other creature with suspicion that only grew when she saw the blood on her hands. Then the intruder mentioned the name from earlier again. Maxine wondered what kind of creature Sage’s partner was…he sounded like trouble. Once the creature had gone, Brandt seemed to relax and picked up the conversation again with no problem.

Max felt a little disconcerted though. A lot was going on that she didn’t understand and it was not a feeling she liked. It left her more than a little irritable.

“I haven’t really thought about it,” she answered Brandt. “It doesn’t matter to me where we go. But I’ve always had some kind of purpose, I don’t like the idea of wandering.”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:53 am

Ghost flew on for a while, taking her time now that she knew that both parties were safe and she had no real obligation to be around anymore. Now she was just around for fun. It was starting to get dark as she flew, but she enjoyed the night air. The air had a slight chill to it, though it was still rather warm. She drifted lazily on the warm currents until the warehouse came into view again.

She circled above, invisible as always to anyone. The faint smell of burning flesh still lingered, though it was clear that it had been out for a while now. She had definitely taken her time in getting back to Asa. Then she spotted a figure lying on the ground beside the building and guessed that it was him, alive and well again. Maybe not completely healthy, but at least alive, which was what mattered.

She circled above him, slowly getting lower with each circle until she realized that he was actually asleep. So, instead of waking him, she landed silently beside him and simply sat down next to him, leaning against the wall of the warehouse and closing her eyes. As she did this, she wrapped her wings around herself and used them as blankets, her breathing slowing down as she entered a very light sleep, which was the only way she ever slept.

While she 'slept' she kept her senses alert, in case anything happened around them. She didn't feel threatened, but anything could happen. Plus, she figured some humans might come sniffing around if they had seen the fire and she would want to wake Asa up to get out of there if that did happen. For now, though, she rested peacefully beside him as she waited for him to wake up on his own.

^*^

Brandt nodded in response to what Max had said. "I understand the feeling. For my entire life, my purpose was finding you. I guess I don't really know what my purpose is anymore..."

As he thought about this, he glanced up at the already darkening sky and then looked back down at Sage as she yawned. "I think this is a good time to stop for the night. Sage is probably tired after going through the same thing last night." Mentally, he thought now that Asa had taken care of his old enemy, Sage would now be safe with nobody watching her.

Sage nodded. "I can ride my bike home. It isn't too dark."

Brandt stood up and shook his head slightly. "I'll walk you home to make sure you get there alright." He then turned his head toward Max. "I would also like to make sure you get home safely, if that's alright with you." He knew that she was most likely capable of looking after herself, but he also felt the need to protect her. He hoped that she would accept his offer. It would also give him a chance to know where she lived, which sounded strange, but he wanted to know where to find her if there was some sort of emergency.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:34 am

The soft snores coming from Asa tapered off as he stirred awake. Immediately he felt a presence next to him and there was no need for him to open his eyes to know who it was. She was supposed to be ghostlike but sometimes she felt more like a shadow.

“Thanks for helping an old friend,” he said quietly.

Asa had fallen asleep hunched against the wall. Now that he was awake he filled his lungs with a deep breath and sat up straight, looking over at Ghost who sat next to him. It had been many long years since he had seen her before she showed up out of nowhere on the eve of this battle. He wondered what she had been doing all those years and why she had been keeping an eye on Pieris. This was a very solitary creature, he thought to himself.

“So what’s next for you?” He yawned. “Do you plan on sticking around or are you off to cause more trouble for someone else?”

~*~
Max was mildly surprised at how quickly the time had passed. Was it really almost dark already? She looked up as Brandt offered to walk her home with the highschooler. She hoped he wouldn’t get into the habit of coddling her.

“I drove my car here, but thanks.” She tried not to sound rude, but being polite didn’t come very naturally to her.

“Are you guys going to have another little meeting tomorrow?”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Ghost was roused from her half-asleep state when she noticed that Asa's breathing had changed. She didn't move, though. Instead, she continued to lay leaned up against the wall with her wings around her until she heard Asa speak.

She didn't reply to what he said. Instead of replying, she simply cracked open her eyes and peered at him before shrugging her shoulders. "I didn't do much." She sat up, unwrapping her wings and stretching them out before she stood and stretched her legs, looking back down at him.

The question that he asked her caught her a bit off guard. She really didn't know what she was going to do next. She had been doing damage control for Pieris for quite a few years and before that, she had just been wondering endlessly. She didn't even know why she had been following Pieris in the first place. Maybe she had felt like she was partly responsible for what had happened. She was there and she hadn't done anything to stop it from happening. There wasn't much she could have done, but she still could have tried to do something.

She shrugged again in response to him. "Not sure. I'm going to make sure you make it back to your friend in one piece. I don't know if you realize this, but you have a knack for finding trouble. After I look after you, I'll probably just wander for a while, like I always do. I'm sure I'll see you around eventually. It's a small world and it's not like we're running out of time, right?"

She offered her hand to Asa to help him to his feet, giving him a half smile. As much as she hated to be involved with the affairs of others, she really did hope everything worked out well for Asa.

^*^

Brandt was glad that Sage was so happy with his company, but he was a little disappointed Max didn't want his help. He understood, though, and tried not to be too upset by it. Instead, he simply nodded in understanding at her response and went to answer her question. Though, he realized that he still wasn't sure about what their future would hold anymore.

"Well, I plan to stick around for a few more days at least, so if you ever want to visit, I'll be here. Or, if you don't feel like making the trip, I'll come to you. Sage will probably come here after school again tomorrow."

He glanced over at Sage, who was nodding eagerly. "Yeah, tomorrow is my last day for the week, so I'll have a lot more time to hang out with Asa! Well, if he's back by tomorrow."

Brandt patted her on the shoulder. "I'm sure he'll be back soon. If not tonight, then tomorrow for sure." He started to lead the two back toward the fence. When they reached the fence, Sage got her bike and waited for Brandt while he spoke to Max. "I'm sorry that you've found yourself into this situation. I can't really tell you that it'll go back to normal. It won't. Maybe it'll become normal for you with time." He decided that being blunt with her was the best option. There really was nothing she could do to make this go back to normal, but it would be easier for her if she chose to accept all that was happening.

After they parted ways, Brandt walked with Sage back to her house. The entire way, Sage talked about anything that came to her mind, which was fine with Brandt. He listened politely and answered any of her questions while he let his mind wander a bit. Being around Asa for so long had made him pretty good at multitasking. Once Sage was safely home, he began his leisurely stroll back to the junkyard.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrondra on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:46 pm

“Asa, why have you been running from me? Am I not your family?”

He looked at Pieris’s hurt expression and felt guilt clutch his chest. Yes, of course she was his family. But as much as he wanted to run too her his feet kept taking him farther away. Why was he running from her?

“What have you done Asa? The poor little creature that hid in the closet. Too scared to face the world. How could you have done this to me? What changed?”

She stood there with her arms outstretched towards him as she gradually caught fire. Asa couldn’t turn away as the flames grew and she disappeared into the hot glow.

“Asa, help me.” Something in her voice had changed. The insane pitch had become steady and pleading. “Find them. Free me!”

A wall of flames stretched high in front of him but his feet were held fast. Asa watched as a pair of shadows walked through the lapping flames unharmed. The darkness held the shape of two people but the brightness of the fire made it unable for him to see their faces. Fear swallowed his heart as they approached him—

“Don’t—“Asa choked out as he jumped awake. The train car swayed side to side violently for a moment.  The word had been drowned out by the noise of the car passing over the tracks and the wind howling past. It must have been what woke him up.

“How long was I asleep?” He muttered to himself.

Judging by the early morning light coming from the door, Asa judged that he had slept the whole night away. It hadn’t taken long for him to fall asleep after him and Ghost returned to the station the night before and crashed in the car, knowing it would take them to the next town in the morning. Asa figured it hadn’t been long since the train had gotten moving. Brandt was only one town over and Ghost would have woken him up if they had reached it.

“Speaking of which.”

Asa stood with a groan and walked stiffly to the door of the train car. There would of course be only one place Ghost would be: the highest perch. He slid the door open and poked his head out. The wind snatched at his hair wildly as he craned his neck up to the top of the car.

“Bat-face! Come down here!”

Asa didn’t wait for a response before ducking back into the car.

~*~

Max stood in her kitchen brooding over a cup of coffee. The cat sat at her feet with the same half-lidded angry look, staring into empty space. Her brain was slowly digested the events of the day before and what her next move would be.
She had no idea what kind of a person Brandt was and whether or not she would be willing to go along with him. But it was clear she had to stick with him, at least for a bit. The thought of leaving didn’t bother her much: nothing was keeping her here.

But what were they going to do? Surely whatever it was had to be better than her current situation. She had no purpose, no mission, where she was now. The dullness of it all was enough to drive her insane. Perhaps the life Brandt was offering included action.
Max considered this as she lifted the mug to her lips for the first sip of the day. Before she could get the chance her phone interrupted the silence as it blared the song ‘Bad Company’. She glared down at the caller ID. It was her mom. She reached out and took her phone from the counter.

“Hello.”

“Maxine, it’s about time you picked up! I only call every other day. I was beginning to wonder if you remembered how to work a phone.”

“Nice to hear from you too.”

“Why don’t you ever answer? I’ve been worried sick, you never talk to your sister and I anymore. Its not healthy to shut us out, Maxine.”

“So my psychiatrist has told me.”

“I don’t like the idea of you shutting yourself away in that little apartment. You know it’s not a good neighborhood, who knows how many dangerous people live there.”

“Yeah, I could be living next door to someone who kills for a living.”

Silence stretched over the line.

“Don’t say that, Maxine. Please don’t think of yourself like that.”

Max took a deep breath and realized she didn’t want to plunge into the same old argument again. It always went the same and ended in yelling.

“Look,” she tried for words. “Stop worrying about me. I’m thinking about making some changes in my life. Traveling a little. Seeing…new things.”

“Oh. Well…that sounds good I guess. But where will you go?”

Max stared off into distance and sipped at her coffee, thinking about Brandt and Sage.

“Not sure yet. Wherever I end up, I guess.”
Elrondra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfStorm on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:18 pm

After Asa had settled into the boxcar for the night, Ghost had left him to sleep and climbed out onto the roof of it, as he had probably suspected she would. She laid on her back, stretched out and using her hands to rest her head on. She enjoyed peaceful nights such as this, even if they were preceded by less than peaceful events.

She stared up at the dark sky, which was dotted in millions of tiny lights. Instead of sleeping, though, she simply shut one of her eyes and pointed a claw to the sky, aiming and beginning to trace out different constellations. In her many years of existence, she had taken an interest in mapping out the stars and learning to navigate by using them. She knew each constellation and where it was in the sky. Even the history behind how it was discovered and named. Often times, though, she liked to create her own as well. It was something different to do and it entertained her. Besides, the possibilities for new finding new constellations seemed as endless as the stars themselves.

That was how she stayed for a while. Well into the night, actually. She did love staying up through the night as opposed to the daytime. When the sun started to dip toward the mountains in the distance, though, and the sun began to light up the opposite horizon, she decided it was time for a nap, at least. She had a little while before the sun actually rose and started to brighten things up.

She shifted herself from her stretched out position and curled up into a tight ball, much like how a cat sleeps. She wrapped her tail around herself and rested it over her muzzle as she wrapped her wings around herself. If she hadn't been invisible, her brown wings would have probably looked much like a large pile of dirt. It was very effective in blocking out the sunlight and keeping in the warmth, though, especially since the train had started moving not long after she had settled in.

What seemed like an hour after she had began her dozing, she heard Asa call to her. In a very rude way, she thought, but it didn't bother her. It wasn't like their friendship was built solely on compliments and good behavior. She unwrapped her wings and got into a crouch, stretching out her muscles before swinging herself down into the car to join Asa.

It only took a moment after Asa had yelled out to her before he could hear a light thump and Ghost appeared beside him. She ran her claws through her windswept hair and yawned. "You're a grumpy man, you know that? Is that how you talk to one of your oldest friend who just helped you murder someone?"

She crossed her arms over her chest as she said this and looked away from him, acting as though he had deeply offended her, though she doubted her actually bought it.

^*^

Brandt yawned as he woke up that morning. He had slept beside the fire, which was now nothing more than a small pile of embers with a trickle of smoke rising from it. He didn't normally sleep out in the open, but he had wanted to be out if Asa had returned. While it wasn't really any of his business, he was curious about what had happened with Asa and his... 'friend'. As well as how he dealt with her once the job was finished.

He stretched his muscles and stood up, looking around. Asa hadn't returned while he was asleep. Sage wouldn't be here until she was done with school. He had absolutely no idea when Max would be back. Well, he hoped she would come back...

So, it was just him by himself. Something that didn't happen too often, but he was glad for the opportunity.

He walked over to the old car frame that he was constantly leaning on and sat down on the rusted metal of the hood. He reached into his trench coat and grabbed a very old and worn out leather journal that he had had with him for as long as he could remember. The pages were fading to yellow with age and he could smell the aged paper, which was actually one of his favorite smells.

He carefully pulled the pages open and, with delicate claws, he began flipping through them. He hadn't kept a journal for the first few years of his life, so there wasn't too much information. In all honesty, he didn't even remember much of the early years of his life. When he began keeping a journal, it was shortly after he had joined together with another group. So, the journal was full of different adventures they had been on, stories of what they would find or do. Some notes on plans that had worked and didn't work as well as descriptions of places that he had been.

There was even a section of different fighting strategies, plans of attacks, different strategies that would or wouldn't work in different situations. In fact, about 60% of his journal was filled with this kind of information, which he had either found out for himself or observed from others over the many years that he had been alone after his group went their separate ways. He often wondered what they were up to, but didn't lose much sleep over the thought. They had agreed it was for the best.

He couldn't actually remember the last time he had written anything down in it. Probably a little after he had met Asa and recorded that he had found a new travelling companion. He would sometimes record information about current events such as wars and political affairs, but he had lost track of a lot of that.

So, in honor of this very important and life changing event, he grabbed a bottle of ink from his bag and dipped his claw in it, beginning to scribble in everything that he remembered about the past few days.
WolfStorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top